What is Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central?
Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central is an enterprise resource planning or ERP solution. It is a part of the Microsoft Dynamics family and has the same code-base as NAV. However, it is more integrated and efficient with the flexibility of cloud.
What happens to NAV?
NAV users have benefited from the program over a long period of time and have already won its best bet. However, it can be operated on an on-premise basis and not on cloud. With businesses looking for expandability and flexibility, NAV falls short. Hence Dynamics 365 Business Central takes over as the new and prospective ERP solution.
How is Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central different from NAV?
The difference between Dynamics 365 Business Central and NAV does not concern the apps or the main body of the solution. They stand apart from each other in terms of the platform that each of the solutions use. As already mentions, NAV can be implemented and operated on site. It is installed in local servers. When it comes to Dynamics 365 Business Central, it is hosted on cloud. The Business Central package, however, consists of all the apps that are found in NAV, but they have been restructured to be implemented and operated flexibly and coherently on cloud.
Should you upgrade from Dynamics NAV to Business Central?
It is undeniable that Microsoft has invested significantly in the development of Business Central while making sure the users can avail the full functionality of Dynamics NAV, to present to the client a modern and unified ERP solution. The solution is available in both on-premise and on-cloud basis. The company plans to work on the application furthermore to develop and improve the application. Taking in consideration, the plans of the company for the new application, it is in the best interest for NAV users to upgrade NAV 2018 to Business Central.
The following are the factors you should take under consideration before conducting the upgrade NAV 2018 to Business Central:
- How much data is to be transferred to the new solution?
- Is there any specific customization that you wish to move to along at the time of upgrade NAV 2028 to Business Central?
- Are the functionalities of the customizations already present in the new solution?
- Is there a requirement for your business to integrate with third party solutions? If yes, are the respective integrations supported by Dynamics 365 Business Central or do they need customizations for the integration?
- How many users are currently using your current ERP solution and how many of them should have access to the new solution and at what level?
- How much historical data do you have and based on that, how much storage space do you need? Would you need to invest on extra storage?
Once you are thorough with all the necessary details, you can go ahead the implementation.
This article is about Dynamics 365 Business Central and provides an overview to the application.
You Must Also Read