If you’re technically skillful and looking forward to enter into an independent vocation, stepping into an electrician’s shoes may fit you the best. Licensed electricians are well-trained technicians and they shoulder a wide range of responsibilities. In short, the modern world cannot go by without the contributions of a qualified electrician.
In the following sections of this blog post, let us explore the job responsibilities, educational and training requirements that are necessary to become a professional electrician in London.
Qualified and experienced electricians in London explain their profession demands them to work in varying settings. It can be a home, office, school, hospital, storefront, mall – just any kind of facility that requires electricity to run. As a professional electrician, you may have to work in extreme heat, cold, indoors and outdoors any time of the year. You may also have to work on ships, trains, airplanes or any other type of vehicle that exist under the sun.
As a qualified electrician you are expected to:
- Reading technical blueprints or diagrams that explain electrical wiring of a project site
- Making connections through wires, electrical outlets and circuit breakers
- Adding or replacing wires, fuses, connections and circuit breakers
- Making use of specialised electrical instruments like ammeters, oscilloscope, voltmeters and ohmmeters
- Working as a member of a team and coordinating with construction project manager, building manager or even homeowners at a construction site
In addition to the ones mentioned above, you’re also expected knowing and following building codes and regulations to ensure a building is electrically safe and insulated from fire.
In-born skill for electrical works
Qualified electricians are experts in pinpointing problems and resolving them. The professionals apply their sound judgement and implement the appropriate techniques in solving problems. Any reliable electrician is bound to possess the following traits:
- They love details. Glossing over details in a wiring project may make the wiring dumb and non-functional as well as may trigger a dangerous situation that puts people’s lives at risk.
- They possess immense physical stamina. They have to climb ladders, get into crawl spaces under unfavourable conditions and make use of varieties of gadgets with optimum care and precision.
- Reliable electricians are found to be flexible. They can easily adjust themselves at different sites under varying conditions.
- Successful electricians in London or anywhere else are also gifted with effective communication skills to successfully interact with project managers and other members of a construction team.
If you are indeed keen to step into the shoes of a professional electrician, you should better have a heart-to-heart discussion with a licensed technician associated with the trade. These days there are varieties of ways to get in touch with such professionals. Consider setting up an informational interview with them to get your queries answered.
- Ask them if they will allow you accompany them to a project site and let you play the fiddle. This way they get sufficient help at work in one hand while on the other you gain a lot of hands-on experience about the life of an electrical mechanic.
- In the next step, request the technician to accept you as a longer-term assistant. This will actually equip you with the most important insights about your dream job or future vocation.
In order to bolster your position to fit into the role of the mechanic’s assistant, you can request the local trade schools to give you suitable recommendations. Certified electrical mechanics at Electric Works London suggest enrolling in short-term certification programmes to gain some preparatory knowledge to fit into the new role.