In the market, we have two best alternatives for WhatsApp, one is Telegram and the other Signal. But can they replace WhatsApp? Are they good enough? To answer these questions, we have made a brief comparison between WhatsApp vs Signal vs Telegram.
The first question, that will arise is, why are people concerned? It’s simple, we all know that Facebook went through many legal situations due to the doubt of misusing user data, and WhatsApp is saying that, it will allow FB-Owned companies to access their data.
You got the point, here right? And this is reason why people using WhatsApp are getting too concerned about their privacy and security. But there are alternatives, both Signal and Telegram are being considered best alternatives.
Should you really switch? Should you download Signal or Telegram? Well, read on to find it out.
WhatsApp vs Signal vs Telgram – This is what’s being offered
The most used messaging application with more than 2 billion active users is WhatsApp. Next comes Telegram with 400 million users, and lastly, Signal, which has already reached 20 million active users in a short span of time.
WhatsApp went through a lot of updates and improvements, except for social messaging, it even included in-app payment features. Other than that, you can make a group of up to 256 members, broadcast your message to multiple people, and do both video and voice calls, individually and in group.
Below are the features of WhatsApp messaging application:
- Up to eight users can do video calls at a time.
- You can upload stories on your WhatsApp status, and there is no limit for that.
- You can share all sorts of documents and files up to 100 MB and video, images, audios up to 16 MB.
- Your Live location can be shared.
- You can backup data and messages to cloud services like iCloud and Google Drive, and even restore from them.
- You get End-to-End (E2E) Encryptions for all communications in WhatsApp. The protocol it uses is developed by OWS (Open Whisper Systems), even Signal uses them.
Telegram’s best offering is the Group support, it offers you to add up to 200,000 members on their application. It even offers specific group features like Polls, Quizzes, Bots, Hashtags, etc.
Below are the features of Telegram messaging application:
- Messages can automatically be deleted at a point of time.
- You can share files up to 1.5 GB.
- Both video and voice calls are supported on iOS and Android devices.
- This application supports End-to-End encryption feature for secret chats.
- When privacy and data is concerned, Telegram has confirmed that it shares 0 bytes of data to any government of third-party companies.
In this messaging application you can’t broadcast messages at once, but you can create groups and recently it added group calling support.
Below are the features of Signal messaging application:
- It supports the feature, self-destructing messages.
- You can create Self Notes to share your ideas and thoughts without the need to create groups.
- When you do voice calls, this application relays it to its server, but don’t worry your identity is not being shared.
- It uses back-end user-facing encryption.
- Signal implements End-to-End encryption by uses its own open source protocol.
- It even offers multiple levels of security by encrypting your metadata.
Which messaging app is secure and offer better privacy?
We already talked about the features each messaging application offers, but when privacy and data is concerned, people usually overlook the features. And this why people download Signal more and more.
If you’re thinking of switching to either Telegram or Signal, or maybe stick to WhatsApp, first, know in brief about the security each offers on privacy and data.
WhatsApp does provide encryption to your communication, but let’s know where it doesn’t provide encryption. It doesn’t provide encryption to your backups as well as your metadata.
Even some WhatsApp group chats have been found on Google search results, that is serious data breach.
If you use Secret Chats in Telegram, your chats are encrypted. Group chats are not all encrypted in Telegram.
This application offers by far the most secured communication to user, in terms of privacy. But the downside in this application is that you won’t get tons of features like WhatsApp and Telegram offers.
Other than that, Signal offers encryption to all local files by default and even encrypts group calls.
WhatsApp vs Signal vs Telegram – What are the Data collected
Signal doesn’t collect any data except your phone number.
WhatsApp collects more than dozens of data like Device and User ID, Advertising Data, Coarse Location, Phone no., Email address, Crash Data, Payment Info, to name a few.
Telegram only collect three types of data, Contacts, their info and your ID.
Finally, the question comes whether to download Signal, Telegram or stick to WhatsApp. Well, it depends on your preferences, but it’s obvious that Signal offers very high privacy and security.
If your priority is privacy, then Signal, without a doubt, is the best option. With the new policy of WhatsApp, I wouldn’t recommend it if you want secure your privacy. And go for Telegram only want extra features in a messaging app.
You Must Also Read